Restore ZFS pool on new hard drives?

Terminatrix

Aug 23, 2021
My hard drive with Proxmox installed on it failed and I have had to replace it with a fresh installation however my ZFS pool was on another drive

My ZFS pools data was configured on

/dev/nvme0n1
/dev/nvme1n1

How am I able to mount this again on the new installation of Proxmox without losing any data? I have backups of /etc/ if anything needs to be restored it was mounted to /zfs

I have done the following now to import it

Code:
zpool import -f zfs

But now the usage is not showing correctly

df -h
Code:
zfs                                             5.5T  128K  5.5T   1% /zfs

zpool list

Code:
NAME   SIZE  ALLOC   FREE  CKPOINT  EXPANDSZ   FRAG    CAP  DEDUP    HEALTH  ALTROOT
zfs   6.97T  1.35T  5.62T        -         -    42%    19%  1.00x    ONLINE  -

Last edited:
df -h never worked with ZFS. If you want the usage use zfs list. Df will only show you how much space your pools root (which is like a dataset) is using and how much space is available there. But other datasets and zvols aren't part of that filesystem you mounted in "/zfs" so they are excluded. I would guess you got 1,35T of zvols so your /zfs will show 1,35T less space.

If you want to use that Pool again as a storage for your VMs/LXCs you need to add it again to your PVE by using the WebUI: Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> ZFS

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!