Restore VM without overwriting

stevehughes

Apr 24, 2020
I'm sure this must have been asked already, but I can't find it.

Simple question - How can I restore an entire VM, or spin up a quick recovery version of a VM, without overwriting the original VM, for example as part of a DR test?

Thanks,
Steve

Simple question - How can I restore an entire VM, or spin up a quick recovery version of a VM, without overwriting the original VM, for example as part of a DR test?
Simply restore using a new VMID (from the backup datastore panel).

Thanks for the reply dietmar. Can you provide some more detail please? I can do it using qmrestore, but I can't see how to do it from the GUI.

I am not Dietmar, but: use the Server View; look for your Node; below that Node (in this treeview, not at the right side) all Datastores are listed, including the one for your backup. Click that. The main window will show only "Summary", "Backups", "Permissions". "Backups" is what you are looking for :)

Reactions: stevehughes
Here’s a related question - what if I want to trial a live restore of a system? I can now see how to avoid overwriting the source VM. But to avoid a conflict with the source VM I’d need to bring up the restore on a different VLAN. I can’t change this in the vm hardware because the live restore locks the VM. Any thoughts on how to address this?

I can’t change this in the vm hardware because the live restore locks the VM. Any thoughts on how to address this?
No, sorry. I do not see a way to achieve both goals (live and modified) at the same time. Probably that would really rise the difficulty to implement it...

Usually you can disconnect NICs on-the-fly without the need to stop/start a VM --> the config is not locked for this. Perhaps this does work (as a workaround) during live-restore?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!