Restore VM - Doesnt Work after restore

Leonardo Ramirez

Jun 11, 2018
Hi, I have a VM in ZPOOL, but I have a backuo, and I tried to resoter it in other server, but It use a LVM. When I initial the restore it, it sent me this message (importat message in color red):

restore vma archive: lzop -d -c /mnt/pve/hb_pve/dump/vzdump-qemu-100-2020_03_09-12_17_11.vma.lzo | vma extract -v -r /var/tmp/vzdumptmp23309.fifo - /var/tmp/vzdumptmp23309
CFG: size: 561 name: qemu-server.conf
DEV: dev_id=1 size: 644245094400 devname: drive-scsi0
CTIME: Mon Mar 9 12:17:14 2020

WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
Logical volume "vm-113-disk-0" created.
WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (1.17 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data and the size of whole volume group (<930.50 GiB).

new volume ID is 'local-lvm:vm-113-disk-0'
map 'drive-scsi0' to '/dev/pve/vm-113-disk-0' (write zeros = 0)
progress 1% (read 6442450944 bytes, duration 35 sec)
progress 2% (read 12884901888 bytes, duration 57 sec)
* I delete many lines of progress
progress 99% (read 637802643456 bytes, duration 5042 sec)
progress 100% (read 644245094400 bytes, duration 5042 sec)
total bytes read 644245094400, sparse bytes 435844681728 (67.7%)
space reduction due to 4K zero blocks 0.573%
rescan volumes...
Execute autostart
TASK OK

After all, it was done well, 100%. And I start the VM, and it was look like evrey things was ok. And the VM was with status running. But I tried to open VNC, and I couldnt. So, the VM wasnt initial, and I dont know why.

Can you tell me how can I solve that problem?, thanks.

Hi, I found the issue it was fingerprint. I can fix ti with this command:

pvecm updatecerts

It's important execute that command in each node.

Hi,
glad you were able to solve the problem.

Regarding the error message:
WARNING: You have not turned on protection against thin pools running out of space.
WARNING: Set activation/thin_pool_autoextend_threshold below 100 to trigger automatic extension of thin pools before they get full.
Logical volume "vm-113-disk-0" created.
WARNING: Sum of all thin volume sizes (1.17 TiB) exceeds the size of thin pool pve/data and the size of whole volume group (<930.50 GiB).

Volumes on the thin pool have a logical size (how much space the volume can use at most) and a effective size (how much space it currently uses). As long as the sum of the effective sizes of your volumes is not larger than the size of the volume group, it's not really full. But you'll have to be careful. If a volume suddenly needs more space than its effective size, it will be extended and the effective size will increase (at most up to the logical size). The warning tells you that all your volumes together can grow larger than the size of the volume group. So you should either:
  • increase the size of the volume group
  • free up space by either removing volumes you don't need anymore or shrinking some of them, but don't forget to shrink the filesystem on it first!
  • be aware of the fact and monitor how much space the volumes use and ready to react before the volume group is full.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!