Restore VM Disks After Wipe

tdashmike

Jul 1, 2024
Hello, I wiped my proxmox install today and started over. When I went to restore one of the VM's that uses a VM disk for storage on my zfs pool, it said unused disk so I was going to delete it and re-add it but clicked too fast and and it deleted the vm disk from my zfs pool. Is there a way to recover the disk? What would be the correct sequence next time I do this?

Thank you.

Hi,
if the disk got deleted in ZFS, you'll probably need to consult a data recovery expert to have any chance to get it back. And it's essential to not use the ZFS pool anymore until the recovery attempt. For next time, once you have the unused disk in the VM configuration, you can click the Edit button and select a bus to attach the disk to.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!