Restore Backup from external drive

Masstec

Jul 31, 2024
I had to reinstall my Proxmox and was able to get a back up on an external drive before doing so. My question is how to go around the qmrestore command to have it restore the back up to my Raid 1 SSD. I have mounted the external drive on /mnt/storage. Is this line correct?

qmrestore /mnt/storage/vzdump-qemu-100.vma 100

Would that create the VM again on the SSD or on the external drive?

I guess I need to the VM to be created back on pve, either local(pve) or local-zfs(pve) but I don't know if qmrestore /mnt/storage/vzdump-qemu-100.vma 100 --storage local-zfs is the way to go.

Any help is appreciated.

Define the external drive in Datacenter / Storage, then click on it under Storage / Backups in the left pane, restore the backup with web GUI

Where virtual machine images are stored is defined by the configuration in the /etc/pve/storage.cfg file
and you probably have local-zfs content images,rootdir there.

Your command looks correct to me.

Thanks for your answers.

I did try defining the drive in the Datacenter > Storage but the files did not show on the web GUI, so I had to do it directly on the terminal.
I used the first command I posted qmrestore /mnt/storage/vzdump-qemu-100.vma 100 and it's about to finish, we'll see how that goes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!