Restic via SFTP to my PVE?

paul_r1980

Oct 27, 2024
Hello, I'm Paul, this is my first time installing Proxmox. I'm using a single mini pc as my pve. It comes with a 256 GB ssd, and I have added a 1 TB hdd from an old laptop. I have GPT initialized the hdd from the GUI, then created a directory. My question is: how can I setup my restic backups from my daily driver desktop to the mini pc. Before I was using a very old pc with Fedora server, and I followed this guide. I cannot found a similar guide for Proxmox. Or if there is a better way to backup my files to the hdd in the mini pc, please point me that way

how can I setup my restic backups from my daily driver desktop to the mini pc. Before I was using a very old pc with Fedora server, and I followed this guide. I cannot found a similar guide for Proxmox. Or if there is a better way to backup my files to the hdd in the mini pc, please point me that way
Create a container with Fedora and use the guide again.

Reactions: Johannes S
I would setup a rest-server ( without docker) inside a container or a vm with docker and rest-server:
https://github.com/restic/rest-server
It's possible to setup rest-server in append-only mode which is useful for ransomware protection. There are also reports, that rest-server Backups have better performance than sftp. I don't know any benchmarks on it though.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!