Resize sme server kvm non-lvm

kryptoscode

Renowned Member
May 26, 2012
Hi All,

First I would like to say my gratitude to the Proxmox Team for creating this great application. You make virtualization easier to average IT person like me.

Now to my question, For a start I have the current version of Proxmox 3.0 setup and running will right now and as my needs expands I am now expanding my drive to greater capacity. I have added one more drive to the current 750Gb drive with a new 1TB on host promox. Adding the drive was easy and straight forward task and right now I have 1.7TB of drive waiting to be used. My problem is that I have one VM machine KVM running SME server that I allotted 250GB for the space but with no LVM and no raid config just raw setup. Now I want it to be extended to let say 1TB but I not sure where to start Im aware that there is a extend drive feature for KVM in proxmox but don't know if that will work with my VM machine and how SME could recognize the new size if it can work. Im thinking just do this two steps.

Turn off the VM
Resize the drive on proxmox menu
turn on VM
login to the VM as root and just invoke this command. "resize2fs /dev/vda1"

Will the above will work on my situation. If not please advise ways that I could achieve this concern.

Thank you and Regards,
Rocel

the steps are
1) enlarge virtual disk (live, on pve lvm)
2) extend/create partition to use new free space (on/offline, see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resizing_disks)
3) create/resize fs on the new/extended partition (enlarge, create online, from the vm)

Marco

I tried expanding the drive it did expand but VN OS( Linux Smeserver) still recognize the old size. I think this only application to LVM configured VM.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!