Resize Disk on a VM

vikozo

Renowned Member
May 4, 2014
suisse
www.wombat.ch
hello
i have a VM which i had to resize the Disk so i did add 25G up to now 35Gig.
stop and start the vm and boot into gparted

1664131243463.png

the Problem

i can't resize it
1664131297763.png
so what did i wrong

have a nice day
vinc

The extended partition is in the way. The extended partition can contain other (non-bootable) partitions and was often used in the past because a MBR could only have 4 primary partitions. You first need to shrink/move the light-blue partition (sda2, which contains sda5) before you can grow sda1.

Maybe you need to move sda5 (swap) to the front of sda2 (extended) first? Or maybe it's a rounding issue and just leave 1 MB of space here or there.
Or just remove sda5 and sda2, resize sda1 and add a new swap partition. But you'll need to adjust the operating system inside the VM for the new UUID and/or partition number of the swap.

EDIT: There are probably better tutorials on the internet about this than I can explain here. It's not really a virtualization thing as this mostly applies to real drives.

Last edited:
I usually put the swap partition at the beginning to prevent such issues when resizing later. If you don't need more than 4 partitions, the extended partition is not needed.
I suggest you just remove sda5 and sda2, resize sda1 and add a new swap partition. But you'll need to adjust the operating system inside the VM for the new UUID and/or partition number of the swap.

As long as you have (several) backups, feel free to try different solutions.Personally, I found that running regular background backups with PBS can prevent a lot of stress.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!