Resize a container disk

Fabio

Renowned Member
Jan 30, 2016
I'm using PVE 8 . I created a ubuntu 23c container by downloading the template from PVE. I configured in ubuntu container samba . The disk was 16GB, I would like to extend it to 32GB. I enlarged the container disk from the graphical interface by going to resources and modification of the disk. When the container starts I see that I have more space, but how can I tell the ubuntu system that I have 32 gb? Do I have to resize the ubuntu file system? How do I do it?

Hi,
what exactly do you mean when you see that you have more space in the LXC? Is this a mount point or the root filesystem you are talking about? The size change should be immediate, no need to manullay resize the filesystem

I extended the size of the container disk with the proxmox function, see it gives me 32GB , but in the tmpfs it always gives me 16G . Should I also mean tmpfs ?

1688144850656.png

I extended the size of the container disk with the proxmox function, see it gives me 32GB , but in the tmpfs it always gives me 16G . Should I also mean tmpfs ?

View attachment 52394
Note that /dev/shm is a temporary filesystem backed by system memory and has nothing to do with the size of your containers root filesystem, which has a size of 32G as expected. So all fine.

So I just increase the space from the graphical interface, I don't have to do anything anymore?
Forgive my question, but up to now I have used VMs so every time I increased the space I also had to change the file system of the vm. I use containers for installation. Thanks a lot for the answer.

So I just increase the space from the graphical interface, I don't have to do anything anymore?
Forgive my question, but up to now I have used VMs so every time I increased the space I also had to change the file system of the vm. I use containers for installation. Thanks a lot for the answer.
Yes, no need for further action. As you can see from the output above, the filesystem already sees the full disk size.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!