[SOLVED] Reset passwords in a VM

jlgarnier

May 25, 2021
Auriol, France
Dear Community,

I'm facing an issue with an Ubuntu VM, which I didn't use for a long time: the password I carefully stored in my password manager is rejected by the system. I can't SSH into the VM as the SSH server has probably not been installed and I obviously can't use the "boot in recovery mode" trick as Proxmox doesn't give access to this step when booting the VM.

Some applications are installed on this VM, so I'd prefer not delete/recreate it: does anyone know a procedure to reset a session password in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance for any help!

and I obviously can't use the "boot in recovery mode" trick as Proxmox doesn't give access to this step when booting the VM
Why not add a recovery/live media ISO cd rom to the VM & then you could boot it up with that.

This is in no way Proxmox specific so any guide for Ubuntu or Linux will work. Like init=/bin/bash or boot the Ubuntu installer ISO and chroot into your installation. Anything that works for a physical machine works for a virtual machine.

Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!