[SOLVED] rescan of scsi disk sda in RHEL9.3 VM doesn't work

Mar 24, 2022
After doing a resize of a VM from the Proxmox UI, I attempted to get the RHEL 9.3 VM to pickup the change with the usual 'echo 1 > /sys/class/block/sda/device/rescan' but nothing happened. What I'm used to seeing in VMware is the kernel picks up a device change that's visible in "dmesg" output. No such joy with Proxmox. I've tried with rescanning the bus (echo "- - -" > /sys/.../scan) but no joy there either. Is there some other magic required to get the VM to pickup the change to the scsi virtual device? Yes, the storage is of Bus/Device type "SCSI" ("VirtIO SCSI single") and not a VirtIO device.

they are no need to rescan drive inside the vm, the change should be auto detected. (check with parted /dev/sdx to be sure)

are you sure that it's not simply the filesystem (or lvm volume if you use it) that is not extended ?

they are no need to rescan drive inside the vm, the change should be auto detected. (check with parted /dev/sdx to be sure)

are you sure that it's not simply the filesystem (or lvm volume if you use it) that is not extended ?

Actually, now that you mention it, when I check with parted (or "fdisk -l") the device does show up as the full size device. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of kernel messages mentioning that.

Actually, now that you mention it, when I check with parted (or "fdisk -l") the device does show up as the full size device. I'm a bit surprised at the lack of kernel messages mentioning that.
Did you check from the hypervisor whether the disk was extended? The check will depend on the backend storage type you are using. I.e. if its LVM - "lvs", if QCOW - "qemu-img info", etc.
If the disk was extended on the hypervisor side properly, does the VM pick it up after a reboot?
The problem may be in your VM's kernel and/or specific storage controller combination. There haven't been any reports of extend not working properly in the recent times.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!