Replacing Failed Motherboard on System with ZFS(RAID1)

galadar

Feb 28, 2024
Hello, i'm a bit inexperienced with PVE and ZFS so I am sorry for any confusion but I am eager to learn.
Everything is working fine for 4 months. In fact, I couldnt be happier.

I have an older system that is running PVE. (AMD 3600, Gigabyte B450 AorusM, Seasonic 550w, Intel i350T4 NIC, nVidia Quadro P400)
I am using two identical 512GB SSD boot drives for redundancy. During the graphical installation, I set up hard disk options to ZFS(RAID1).

Today, I smelled some smoke and my system was off. Upon investigation, I find a motherboard fan header has melted, and some SMDs around it are burned.

I now have to replace the motherboard. Given the motherboard failure, I have the following questions now.

1) Is the Proxmox installation safe?
Obviously there was no motherboard RAID used or anything of that sort. Will my PVE installation and its config come up fine with a replacement motherboard? I have pfSense, few lab environments, Home Assistant, my Wireless LAN Controller and a few other things.

2) Do I need the same motherboard?
I did have an Intel NIC with passthrough. Thats about it. So if anything, I'll try and find a replacement with the same function.

Thank you very much community. I have been lurking here learning alot.

Last edited:
Hi,

I understand you worry's.
I can tell you it will work your drive's are still working i Hope, one thing that can happed is that the PC/Server is force shutdown an cause failed boot.
But thats worse case, it normal still works if you got other motherboard and use SATA cables in new motherboard an CPU then the OS just start up if the drive's still works :)

1) Yes your installation is Safe, worse case is that your force pc Shutdown an mabye cause failed boot drive in worse case :)

2) No you only need an PC still works with an New CPU an New Motherboard, ill recommended new CPU also.

Happy To Help,
By Netwerkfix :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!