Replace OMV as OS

SoulReign

Jul 24, 2022
Hello,

So, I build my own low budget test server at home to learn more about home networks, dockers etc. I thought OMV would be a good starting place as I wanted to use it as a local NAS and can create dockers using Portainer. So far this has been a fun learning experience but I want to move to Proxmox as it looks like a much better bare metal system and more efficient on resources.

I was wondering if there is a way to install Proxmox and move OMV into a container/VM. But here’s my problem, I used OMV to create a software Raid 6 on the storage drives. So, I’m guessing my options are to move everything from the Raid then wipe it completely starting from scratch or somehow move OMV without disrupting the Raid.

My hardware setup

i5 6500 4 cores
MB ITX (can't hardware Raid)
8gb DDR4
256gb M2 (OS+containers)
8x 2TB HDD (given to me)
650w

Last question, is it possible to use a 256gb SSD for caching to help speed Plex Buffering?

I’m an amateur starting out learning Linux and loving the process so far. Thanks for any help given. I’m really looking forward to moving to Proxmox.

Soul Reign

Hello,

So, I build my own low budget test server at home to learn more about home networks, dockers etc. I thought OMV would be a good starting place as I wanted to use it as a local NAS and can create dockers using Portainer. So far this has been a fun learning experience but I want to move to Proxmox as it looks like a much better bare metal system and more efficient on resources.

I was wondering if there is a way to install Proxmox and move OMV into a container/VM. But here’s my problem, I used OMV to create a software Raid 6 on the storage drives. So, I’m guessing my options are to move everything from the Raid then wipe it completely starting from scratch or somehow move OMV without disrupting the Raid.
You could install PVE to another HDD/SSD and then use disk passthrouh (https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Passthrough_Physical_Disk_to_Virtual_Machine_(VM)) to passthrough your disks into that VM so you could continue using your SW raid6.

There are tutorials how to create a blocklevel copy of a physical disk and save it as an image that then could be imported as a virtual disk.

PVE officially only supports ZFS as software raid and 8Gb RAM really is a bit low for 8TB of raw storage. PVE needs 2GB and ZFS around 2-4GB + 0.25-1GB per 1TB of raw storage. So even when calculating with the minimum 6 of 8 GB RAM would be used without any LXC/VM. If you really want SW raid on your PVE host I would upgrade the RAM or use mdadm by installing a Debian 11 and converting that into a PVE: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_11_Bullseye#Create_a_Linux_Bridge
Last question, is it possible to use a 256gb SSD for caching to help speed Plex Buffering?
When installing PVE it can use the same disk for the OS and for storing guests. So you could store a virtual disk on that SSD and attach that virtual disk to your Plex VM/LXC to use it as a plex temporary transcoding directory.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!