Renaming a node for visual/organizational reasons

peterge

Apr 3, 2019
Harperscheid
blog.peterge.de
I found this https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Renaming_a_PVE_node, but I would like to rename our nodes to different names for visual/organizational reasons, like tags for VM/LXC.
Our cluster looks currently like this when everything is collapsed in server view:
1721281334980.png
I would like to rename the nodes to something like this because I cant use tags for nodes:

Code:
proxmox1  (bonn,    epyc)
proxmox10 (bonn,    ryzen)
proxmox11 (bonn,    ryzen)
proxmox12 (bonn,    epyc)
proxmox13 (cologne, epyc)
proxmox2  (cologne, epyc)
proxmox5  (bonn,    intel)
proxmox6  (bonn,    ryzen)
proxmox7  (bonn,    ryzen)
proxmox8  (cologne, intel)
proxmox9  (bonn,    ryzen)

This way we could use a similar text logic for organizing the nodes without changing the actual hostnames of the servers.
Or is there any better option for me to achive what I want?

Last edited:
You just have to go to the VM in your host view, click on it and navigate to the 'options' panel. From there you can click on 'name' and edit it. Then you simply have to refresh the page and all should be good. This is the most simple way. There's no other way to have the tags in brackets, you have to change the name

Attachments

• 1721283032907.png
    1721283032907.png
    116.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
You just have to go to the VM in your host view, click on it and navigate to the 'options' panel. From there you can click on 'name' and edit it. Then you simply have to refresh the page and all should be good. This is the most simple way. There's no other way to have the tags in brackets, you have to change the name
I would like to edit the names of the hypervisors in our cluster, not the VMs

That won't work with such new node names as the node name is part of the nodes hostname and that must not contain such characters.
But you can rename it to e.g. proxmox1-bonn-epyc.

That won't work with such new node names as the node name is part of the nodes hostname and that must not contain such characters.
But you can rename it to e.g. proxmox1-bonn-epyc.
you mean the hostname? that would be fine if it gets shown like this in the webui. Do i just need to edit /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname?
The page says this needs to be done on an empty node, does this mean no vm/lxc? I would just like to change the gui name in the webinterface

Last edited:
Yes, hostname = gui name.

I would prefer with no vm/lcx running on that node because the config files for vm/lcxs are stored in /etc/pve/nodes/NODE_NAME/{qemu-server,lxc}.
Keep in mind that you also have to edit your cluster config as stated in the wiki to match the new name:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pvecm.html#pvecm_edit_corosync_conf

but all machines need to be stopped this is quite annoying :/
you can also migrate them to a different node.
Never done a node rename and as mentioned in the wiki If your node is in a cluster, where it is not recommended changing its name - you may break your cluster if not done correct. That's why you define a naming scheme before creating a cluster.

Last edited:
Reactions: peterge
From the number of posts troubleshooting disrupted clusters due to exactly this, I can strongly advise against this.

Consider even the quoted guide has the prerequisite of this being done on an EMPTY node.

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!