Rename node

drgeneric

Apr 30, 2012
Hello,

I have a simple setup consisting of only one 2.x node and would now like to rename it's hostname. I did that (/etc/hostname, /etc/hosts) but after a reboot, Proxmox showed two nodes: The old and the new one and of course, the setup did not work anymore. Is there any proper way of doing this?

Thanks a lot,
Remo

To avoid duplicate entries remove the old entry in /etc/pve/nodes/<oldname> (remove whole directory).

But what exactly does not work anymore?

Thanks for your answer. Well, all the machines are still listed under the old name and can not be started.

Thanks for your answer. Well, all the machines are still listed under the old name and can not be started.

The you need to move all config files:

# mv /etc/pve/nodes/<oldnode>/qemu-server/*.conf /etc/pve/nodes/<newnode>/qemu-server

Actually I just renamed a node on Prox 3 and it was quite simple and no need to reinstall prox at all. you do have to delete the node on the clusters main node "pvecm delnode OLDNODE" and then change the nodename in /etc/cluster/cluster.conf from the OLDNODE to NEWNODE and restart the node. I did do this on an empty node (moved all containers and such off first). after the restart all was good.

I have also done this in Prox 2. It's a bit more difficult but doable if you don't clear the node of containers first.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!