Remote sync slow

coopered

Dec 8, 2021
Hello
I have setup remote sync with another PBS located on another continent that has a 1Gbps connection. Considering the distance we have a ping around 130ms.

Using iperf a fiber 1Gbps up/down connection only yields 168 Mbits/sec.
And on a fiber 100Mbits up/down connection on different internet provider yields 16.8 Mbits/sec.

proxmox-backup-client benchmark also results in TLS (maximal backup upload speed) of 2.17 MB/s for the 100Mbit connection and 20.35 MB/s for the 1Gbps connection.

Any tips to improve this?
Thanks

Hello
I have setup remote sync with another PBS located on another continent that has a 1Gbps connection. Considering the distance we have a ping around 130ms.

And on a fiber 100Mbits up/down connection on different internet provider yields 16.8 Mbits/sec.

proxmox-backup-client benchmark also results in TLS (maximal backup upload speed) of 2.17 MB/s for the 100Mbit connection and 20.35 MB/s for the 1Gbps connection.

Any tips to improve this?
Thanks
Update:
I created 6 different sync jobs and now I'm able to use my full bandwidth if there is no other solution.

that is a general problem with tcp connections over 'high latency' links (see your iperf result)

2MiB/s ~ 16MBit/s and 20MiB/s ~ 160MBit/s so that seems to be consistent

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!