remote proxmox as a failover?

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
I would like to make my system more resilient and I wonder if it's possible to have instances of proxmox replicated between 2 nodes in different network: one on the lan, the other somewhere else on the net. Should I create a standalone cluster? What are the good practices for it?

If you use ZFS as storage for the VMs you could use pve-zsync to send periodic snapshots of the VMs disk to the remote server.
You would need to manually copy the VM configs to the remote server (/etc/pve/qemu-config, /etc/pve/lxc for containers). In case the one node fails you can do a manual recovery on the remote node.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: benoitc
@aaron interresting. Though it quill requires some action to put it back. Is there a way to replicate it to another remote node so it can be used immediately?

If they form a cluster. But that comes with other things to consider when the nodes are physically apart.

• latency
  • network congestion if only one network or network has to go through router/firewall
  • quorum (if 2 nodes -> see QDevice)
The mechanism you could use there would be the replication. It needs a ZFS based storage as well.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!