Reject spam at SMTP time

shunkica

May 8, 2024
I'm trying to figure out how to reject spam at SMTP time. There doesn't seem to be a "reject" option, and the "block" action simply discards the mail without any notification.

I also want to avoid using "block + notify sender," as this can result in bounce messages being sent to forged email addresses, potentially getting my server blacklisted or caught in honeypots.

I don't want to use the quarantine feature either.

Is there a way to implement a proper reject action based on WHAT objects, which IMO should be a primary functionality of a mail filtering system?

I tested this and indeed the "Block" action does actually reject with "Before Queue Filtering" active.

Maybe renaming "Block" to "Reject" depending on value of "Before Queue Filtering" would be more clear.

Also such emails should be marked as "rejected" in the tracking center, but now they are marked as "blocked".

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!