reinstalling GRUB / UEFI Entrys

Gamienator

Mar 16, 2021
Heyho there,
I had an issue with my proxmox install and had to replace one of my ZFS disks.

Using Proxmox VE 6.3 with 2 SSDs in an ZFS mirror. After switching the main disk, I resilvered the partition 3 and made a
Bash:
dd if=/dev/disk/by-id/heatly-disk-part2 of=/dev/disk/by-id/new-disk-part2 bs=512

But still, after trying to boot from the second disk entry its not working. Does anybody have an Idea how to rebuild Grub and reinstall the EFI entrys?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Cheers,
Gamie

Did you see the Guide in the Wiki?

Changing a failed bootable device​

Depending on how Proxmox VE was installed it is either using grub or systemd-boot as bootloader (see Host Bootloader).
The first steps of copying the partition table, reissuing GUIDs and replacing the ZFS partition are the same. To make the system bootable from the new disk, different steps are needed which depend on the bootloader in use.
# sgdisk <healthy bootable device> -R <new device>
# sgdisk -G <new device>
# zpool replace -f <pool> <old zfs partition> <new zfs partition>
Use the zpool status -v command to monitor how far the resilvering process of the new disk has progressed.
With systemd-boot:
# pve-efiboot-tool format <new disk's ESP>
# pve-efiboot-tool init <new disk's ESP>
ESP stands for EFI System Partition, which is setup as partition #2 on bootable disks setup by the Proxmox VE installer since version 5.4. For details, see Setting up a new partition for use as synced ESP.
With grub:
# grub-install <new disk>

Reactions: Gamienator

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!