Reinstall a Cluster

makaruxx

May 1, 2013
Hello,

I have a question. Is it possible that i can reinstall a Cluster on Linux/Windows? I have a someone who is using my Proxmox VE Interface as a PVEUser. So he can Start,restart,stop the vServer. He asked me to reinstall the Server for his own. Everytime he wants to reinstall it, i have to do it with my Admin Account.

So is it possible to reinstall (Format C: and install the vServer again with same OS) a vServer for his own?

Hm .. yes... it could. ^^ forgot about that. :) but a Reinstall feature would be nice in the future

Last edited:
what shoud a reinstall perform better than restore a backup made just after first install?
btw there is also the VM clone feature, but... it depends on what you want/need

Marco

Yeah... but the problem is, if you get access to a Proxmox Server, with PV authentificiation, with the Roll/Access: PVEVMUser, you can't create/restore backups. thats the problem. and the user just have to restart,stop the vServer with the Role PVEMUser.

? on my 3.1-24 PVEVMUser has VM.Backup
and on the wiki VM.Backup: backup/restore VMs

so something else is wrong perhaps. Could it be access to storage?

I'm not an expert though, I only have admins here...

Marco

Hm, yeah.. the PVMUser Role has access to VM.Backup. But when i click on "Backup" with this User, and then on "Backup now", i can't choose any Storage. I have 2 Storage installed. One is HDD and one is SSD.

ok, i think I've figured it out, try this:
0. create vm "vmid"
1. create user "user"
2. create group "group"
3. create pool "pool"
4. add "user" to "group"
5. add the vm "vmid" to "pool"
6. add a backup-enabled storage to "pool"
7. add permission to "pool" for "group" as PVEVMUser AND PVEDataStoreUser
8. login as "user", and try to backup the vm

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!