Reduce VM disk size

Gistek I. S.

Oct 3, 2018
www.gistek-s.com
I have migrated a physical (running) Windows PC to Proxmox with VMware Converter creating a "vmdk" file.
After that I have created a new VM on my Proxmox server and modified the VM configuration to point to that "vmdk" file.

The VM worked fine and I have moved the disk to an LVM on my Proxmox server so the "vmdk" is no longer used and the VM disk is in the LVM.

The problem is that the physical PC migrated had a 500GB disk with 300GB free. I have unalocated that free size on the VM using Windows disk administrator and now I want to shrink the VM disk to 200GB but I can't get to do it

I have tried:
Code:
root@myserver:/# qm resize 101 ide0 -- -120G
400 Parameter verification failed.
size: value does not match the regex pattern
qm resize <vmid> <disk> <size> [OPTIONS]
But I don't know how to solve the given 400 error or another way to shrink the disk

Please read the help of "qm help resize". For a start, there is no argument seperator supported through the double dash, and secondly, "Shrinking disk size is not supported."

Please also read the documentation on Resize Disks in our wiki for that: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Resize_disks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!