Recover VMs from Dead Proxmox

Redstill94

Aug 9, 2022
Hi I've installed Proxomox, but it eventually died.
I want to retrieve the VM inside the ssd. How to? Where to look?

Its hard to retrieve the whole VM as you don't get direct access to the VM config files. What you could do is backup the block devices and flesystems of your guests. But how to do that depends on what type of storage you used as your VM/LXC storage. For the config files you would need to backup the whole DB that stores the pmxcfs.

How to Backup Block Devices? I put all my VM in the same root partition of pve it should be lvm, and the format must be like ext4 or cow. something I cannot remember... Actually everyproblem started by a lightdm failure... probabily because dhcp was in and Xorg misbehaving because of that... could It be?
Right now Dunuin I'm depressed... all my files my studies... all gone... Please help!

Last edited:
You really should keep recent backups of all your VMs.

So first question would be if you stored the virtual disks really on the root filesystem ("local" storage) as qcow2 files or as block devices (LVs on a LVM-Thin pool. Storage called "local-lvm").

If just PVE won't boot you could boot from a PVE Iso and enter rescue mode to see if you get access to your PVE again.
If that doesn't work you could boot into a Live Linux Iso and try to access the virtual disks. For example mounting the virtual disks to get access to the files on them.

Blocklevel backups could for example be done using dd from a live linux or by booting a USB stick with clonezilla.

Last edited:
Not a bad idea! I'm sure some people here could do it when having access to your system, but doing it in via messages back and forth on the forum will be very slow and error-prone.

Reactions: Redstill94

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!