Recover Directories and VMs

suiciniv

Aug 30, 2021
After having corrupted files on the proxmox SSD, I needed to reinstall. I had an Images directory on a hd, and VMs on other SSDs, is it possible to "reassemble" (without losing) the structure I had? I performed the mount through mnt /dev/sd*1 /mnt/pve/images (as it was before) and mount -a, but it does not appear in PVE. Thank you.

Hi,
do you have a backup of /etc/pve? If not, you need to re-create the storage configuration Datacenter > Storage > Add with the correct type and path. And then you need to re-create the VM configuration files. Easy way is to not create any disk during VM creation, but use an ID that matches the existing disks. Then run qm rescan --vmid <ID> to make the existing disks show up as unused, attach the drives and add the boot drive to the Boot Order setting.

Reactions: leesteken
Thanks fiona! I didn't have a backup. My friend helped me with this.. he created the storage, like you said and he gave another ID to VM, so, he edited the ID.conf and changed for a new VM.. it works. Thank you for your support.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!