[SOLVED] Recommendation for a san iscsi pro with redundancy

Jan 15, 2019
Madinina
Hello
I want to set up a pve+ha cluster, ideally with zfs.
I would like a recommendation for a high performance iscsi storage with redundancy. Do you have any knowledge or experience of a good san?

Best regards

Hi,
Thank you for your answers,
I had also looked at these solutions, I also read that qnap uses zfs
Qnap
I also need a storage failover.
In the meantime I've looked at nvme/tcp which seems more interesting than iscsi.
If I find a good HA+HASharedStorage, I'll come back here to give my solution.

Best regards

Go with a CEPH cluster. ZFS is great but CEPH is much better in a cluster.

The big difference with a CEPH vs ZFS in the cluster is your VM migration doesn't have to move the storage. With CEPH your data is on a shared pool and it's already available to all the nodes. If you have a small cluster and want to setup ZFS on each node, it will work. You will just have to migrate the virtual disks and the RAM when you want to move a VM. Whereas with CEPH you only need migrate the RAM if the VM is running so it's much faster to shuffle VMs around the cluster, but you pay for that with a bit higher storage requirements. CEPH would need a Proxmox boot drive (hopefully mirrored) and an OSD drive per machine (hopefully several OSD drives). Whereas with ZFS you could just put a pair of SSDs in, mirror them as a boot pool (rpool) and just store your VMs there.

Added- I just realized this was in the PBS forum. If the iSCSI is for a PBS backup target. Personally, I have moved from a SAN disk image to NFS for backing storage as PBS writes everything to small chunk files. This changes my storage requirements from having to grow virtual disks on the SAN to just making sure the NAS over NFS has enough space allocated.

Last edited:
Hi

I've read a lot of docs on Ceph and it's this type of features that I'm looking for, for HA, partly for backup, vm migration...

I still need to see features like the creation of snapshots and rollbacks (like zfs)... and see how I can add a remote node or two... Finally, I'm going to set up a small lab to test all these functionalities.

Thanks for your suggestions !!
Best regards

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!