Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

renevandalen

Oct 17, 2006
Hi,

In Proxmox 1.5 I get the following message when trying to deliver mail to my licensed domain:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification
Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com
Technical details of permanent failure:
PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 xxxxx@xxxxxxx.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

When I edit /etc/postfix/master.cf and add -o local_recipient_maps= to the port 25 definition (see below) it is working ok, however any change using the web interface overrides this setting again.....Note that I've hidden my real addresses and replaced the config with some fake ones just for posting to this forum.

Is there any specific config that needs to be done to get this working ?

Kind regards,

Rene

From master.cf
scan unix - - n - 3 lmtp
-o lmtp_send_xforward_command=yes
-o lmtp_cache_connection=no
1.1.1.1:26 inet n - - - - smtpd
-o content_filter=scan:127.0.0.1:10023
-o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
-o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
-o smtpd_client_restrictions=
-o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
1.1.1.1:25 inet n - - - - smtpd
-o content_filter=scan:127.0.0.1:10024
-o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
-o local_recipient_maps=
127.0.0.1:10025 inet n - n - - smtpd
-o content_filter=
-o relay_recipient_maps=
-o receive_override_options=no_unknown_recipient_checks,no_header_body_checks
-o smtpd_helo_restrictions=
-o smtpd_client_restrictions=
-o smtpd_restriction_classes=
-o smtpd_sender_restrictions=
-o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_mynetworks,reject
-o mynetworks=127.0.0.0/8
-o smtpd_error_sleep_time=0
-o smtpd_client_connection_count_limit=0
-o smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit=0
-o smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts=127.0.0.0/8

Please can you send me the whole syslog file (/var/log/syslog)

- Dietmar

Last edited:
Also check you Mail Proxy settings (Configuration/MailProxy/Relaying/DefaultRelay should point to your internal mail server)

default mail relay in indeed configured and pointing to an internal mail server. syslog should be in your mail soon.

The log you sent does not show any problem. All mails are delivered correctly. Please can you check which server sent that NDR.

(PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): does not look like a proxmox error message)

- Dietmar

Dietmar,

It is postfix on the proxmox host that is rejecting the mail (see copy from log below (again I obscured the addresses) I tried from multiple mail systems including e.g. gmail.com

Oct 17 13:56:57 localhost postfix/smtpd[3065]: connect from blablabla.com[1.2.3.4]
Oct 17 13:56:57 localhost proxpolicy[2913]: SPF says pass
Oct 17 13:56:57 localhost postfix/smtpd[3065]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mtagate2.blablabla.com[1.2.3.4]: 550 <system@xxxxx.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from=my-email@blablabla.com to=<system@xxxxx.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<mtagate2.blablabla.com>
Oct 17 13:56:59 localhost postfix/smtpd[3065]: disconnect from mtagate2.blablabla.com[1.2.3.4]

What do you suggest ? do I need to resort to reinstall ?

sorry, i am totally confused. Its simply not possible to debug if you change the domain/email names and ip addresses. Instead send me the log/error messages unchanged (directly to me)

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!