Reassign Owner

theb2b

Sep 22, 2024
I have a rather large disk attached to a defunct Ubuntu server. The defunct Ubuntu I brought over from a vmware server just for this second disk. It is was a file server and the second disk only hosted the files in question so I like to attach this second disk to another Ubuntu server I spun up on my Proxmox machine. The storage disk it is on is formatted is an ext4 and is attached as a directory. The format of the virtual disk is gcow2, so again, my question can I just use the reassign owner option?

If the information I have provided is incorrect, wrong or incomplete let me know as I am new to the OS. The verbiage is all new to me and I am learning as I go.

Thanks.

Hi @theb2b ,

What is the output of :
pvesm status

Does the output contain a storage pool that corresponds to your location?
If it does, what is the output of: pvesm list [storage_pool_name]
If it does not, where exactly is the file located? What is the name of the file?
What VM do you want to attach it to?

The file should be named vm-[vmid]-disk-[index_counter].qcow2
It should be located in "/path/images/[vmid]/" either in /var/lib/vz (which corresponds to local storage pool) or in the custom directory pool that is backed by your storage disk.
The VMID should match the ID of your target VM, the index-counter should be next after currently used ones.

Once you properly placed the file, you can run : qm disk rescan --vmid [vmid]
It will bring in the disk as : unusedX
You can then use GUI to assign the disk to controller, whether SCSI or IDE.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

The output of pvesm status does contain the storage pool that corresponds to my location
1728613157162.png

The output of pvesm list storage-4t and yes it contains or holds the file in question.
1728613301838.png

The disk I want to attach this to is
1728614142294.png

Going to need a bit more help on the following
It should be located in "/path/images/[vmid]/" either in /var/lib/vz (which corresponds to local storage pool) or in the custom directory pool that is backed by your storage disk.
The VMID should match the ID of your target VM, the index-counter should be next after currently used ones.
As I said new to this OS but not new to linux.

So you named the disk using VM ID 101 but want to assign it to VM 103?
Does VM 101 actually exist? If it does, then use "qm disk move" command to reassign the disk. (man qm)
If it does not exist , find where the new disk is stored on your storage-4t pool and move/rename it manually.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!