[SOLVED] Raw device mapping for MS clusters

RBretzel

Feb 7, 2024
Hi,
for the supported operation of an MS cluster as a VM, the "Cluster validation test" must be successfully completed.
To pass this test, the disk must be mapped into the VM as a raw device (passthrough disk).
What possibilities are there to implement this?
How did you solve this or is there already an article with the solution that I can't find?

Regards
Rainer

Hi, thanks for the link, this works with internal disk and single iSCSI disk as I had hoped.
With the iSCSI multipath disk I could only mount one disk (/dev/disk/by-id/scsi-XXX), if I want to mount the second path it replaces the first disk, because both disks are listed as sdX in the system.

Do you have a suggestion or idea how I can realize this?
I am thankful for any ideas!

Hi,
I have found the solution and would like to share it with you.

To add a pass-through physical hard disk to the virtual machine or hot-plug/add a physical device as a new virtual SCSI hard disk, you need to execute the “dm-devcie” using the multipath command.

#multipaht -ll
1714037852657.png

Then make the disk available to the VM as a new SCSI device

#pm set VM-ID -scsi<No> /dev/dm-<No>

best
Rainer

Hi Rainer,

This technique is incorrect from the perspective of the Microsoft Cluster Validation tests. Specifically, the persistent reservations handling needs to be multi-path aware since reservations are scoped to the independent SCSI ITL nexuses. In this case, QEMU abstracts the presence of multipathing.

I don't recommend moving these machines around in a Proxmox cluster. This sort of deployment can likely lead to data corruption.
Good Luck!

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!