Ravada VDI on Proxmox - Discussion/Problems/Development

Nov 3, 2017
Hello

I had already written some time ago in the German forum that I addressed the guys of Ravada, so that there can be a support of Ravada for Proxmox.

"Ravada is an open-source project that allows users to connect to a virtual desktop. It is a VDI broker.
Its back-end has been designed and implemented in order to allow future hypervisors to be added to the framework. Currently it supports KVM and LXC is in the works.
The only requirements are: a web-browser and a remote viewer supporting the spice protocol."

http://ravada.upc.edu/

The guys from Ravada were very open to this and I opened a ticket in the bugtracker of Ravada.

https://github.com/UPC/ravada/issues/932#issue-379801978

Now that the new version was released 2-3 weeks ago, you have time to have a look at Proxmox.

I have discussed with him that we want to lead the discussion here in the form. Hopefully this will be transparent for everyone and many of you can contribute your knowledge.

The following question by Emmanuel Agliardi has been asked.

Hello @Scimitar4444 For a better management and administration of Spice with Ravada it would be necessary that proxmox authorizes to make the addition of display on a vm, to avoid passing it in "args" to the file of <VMId> .conf of the machine. Do you have any contact at proxmox to raise this request?
in the lastest proxmox version it's no possible in GUI mode
the versions of display 'qlx', 'qlx2', 'qlx3', 'qlx4' in proxmox are arguments to KMV to set display memory etc ... which are contained in classes or objects. for example we can not have a novnc and a spice on the same vm if we had the possibility to add a display with the GUI it would be possible there a little bug with spiceproxy

Debugging shows a timeout after virt-viewer connects to the proxy server. The TCP handshake occurs, but somehow the application times out. with windows 10
set to a VM with a static spice port, and it works fine.

This is definitely an issue with the proxy setup with Windows clients

spiceproxy code

#!/usr/bin/perl -T

$ENV{'PATH'} = '/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin';

delete @ENV{qw(IFS CDPATH ENV BASH_ENV)};

use strict;
use warnings;
use PVE::Service::spiceproxy;

$SIG{'__WARN__'} = sub {
my $err = $@;
my $t = $_[0];
chomp $t;
print STDERR "$t\n";
syslog('warning', "%s", $t);
$@ = $err;
};

my $prepare = sub {
my $rundir="/var/run/pveproxy";
if (mkdir($rundir, 0700)) { # only works at first start if we are root)
my $gid = getgrnam('www-data') || die "getgrnam failed - $!\n";
my $uid = getpwnam('www-data') || die "getpwnam failed - $!\n";
chown($uid, $gid, $rundir);
}
};

PVE::Service::spiceproxy->run_cli_handler(prepare => $prepare)

i think python is better

apt install python-pip python-numpy python-scipy
pip install websockify

in order to have a HTML5 spice feature

Hi,
is there any development going on?

Or is there any other solution out there that I can't find?

I think it would be very cool to have a VDI with Proxmox and Ravada.

I would love to hear about any progress that has been made on this topic.

I've also begun setting up Apache Guacamole as a VDI Web Server Broker for a company. If anyone has any other suggestions for VDI brokers that work with pre-existing hypervisors that would be great. I've looked into FlexVDI and FOSS-Cloud but I would rather not use another four servers just to have VDI... Thanks everyone.

I would love to hear about any progress that has been made on this topic.

I've also begun setting up Apache Guacamole as a VDI Web Server Broker for a company. If anyone has any other suggestions for VDI brokers that work with pre-existing hypervisors that would be great. I've looked into FlexVDI and FOSS-Cloud but I would rather not use another four servers just to have VDI... Thanks everyone.
have any progress?

Still no reply?
Anyone from proxmox around?
having something that put the vdi into proxmox (or on top of it) would really change the world for lot of people....
I think I will dive into it anyway...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!