RAID5 with LVM

megagolgoth

Renowned Member
Jul 19, 2014
Hi,

Is it possible (or plan to make it possible) to install Proxmox with a RAID5 setup with LVM ?

LVM is supporting RAID5 with at some point on the configuration process "lvcreate -n grappe1 –type raid5 -L 10G -i 4 vg1".

ZFS can do RAID5-type, but I'm using consumer grade SSD, and this is not recommended (first performance issue, with big "IO delay"). The PC is an HP 400 G1, with i7 4790, 16Go of RAM, and 3 250GB SSD (Western Blue). It's for Yunohost/pfSense/HomeAssistant mainly. The energy efficiency, size and noise (WAF) are really important.

Bye !

Last edited:
Is it possible (or plan to make it possible) to install Proxmox with a RAID5 setup with LVM ?
yes.

LVM is supporting RAID5 with at some point on the configuration process "lvcreate -n grappe1 –type raid5 -L 10G -i 4 vg1".
not quite. you need to use mdadm to make the underlying raid.
ZFS can do RAID5-type, but I'm using consumer grade SSD, and this is not recommended (first performance issue, with big "IO delay"). The PC is an HP 400 G1, with i7 4790, 16Go of RAM, and 3 250GB SSD (Western Blue). It's for Yunohost/pfSense/HomeAssistant mainly. The energy efficiency, size and noise (WAF) are really important.
dont use a single parity volumeset, ESPECIALLY with consumer grade drives. you're better off making a single mirror, and use the third drive for other purposes.

mdadm, noted.
Also note, that you cannot use software raid with mdadm in the PVE installer. You need to use the Debian installert and install PVE on top if you want to use it for the OS.

Software raid with three consumer grade SSD, isn't that better than only one consumer grade SSD ?
Sure, but we're talking about tree-vs-two, not anything-else-vs-one. Consumer SSDs in any enterprise environment are slow and will fail faster due to the write amplication, so if you're unlucky, your 3 identical SSDs will fail at the identical time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!