Raid1 boot device failed

fattybobo

May 3, 2020
Hi Guys,
***Update
1 of the 32gb SSD boot drive is defective I think.
Now I can boot with a single 32gb ssd, but not with the data mount.(the ZFS raid 1 of the 1tb nvmes)
When I only boot with 32gb ssd, it will ask me to import the Rpool. If I boot with the 1tb, it says no boot device detected.

Anyone can give me a hint how should I copy the config files?

Thanks

My setup is
32GB ssd Boot drive x2 in raid 1
1tb nvme ssd data x2 in raid 1

Friday, the server suddenly stop working so we restart and it never come back.

I tried different ports,it keep reading the ssd but will not post, and after 15-20mins, giving me error saying there is no boot device.
I tried proxmox rescue installtion and it doesnt work.
I tried the pair of boot drive in other system, it post once on another system with 1 disk only, and never again.
I tried plug in the drive to a windows computer, it recongize the drive but can't do anything.

Is reinstall and recofigure my only option here?

Last edited:
How exactly, did you install this system? Also, is it a sole PVE install or was it first OS and then Proxmox on top?

How exactly, did you install this system? Also, is it a sole PVE install or was it first OS and then Proxmox on top?
system is on a AMD ryzen 2700 with 64gb ddr4.
Boot- mirror
data-zfs mirror

its baremetal proxmox. Nothing else. Just proxmox.

sorry for the mis information.

Thanks for replying.

If you didn't put any guets onto the rpool, then it would probably be best to re-install PVE on one of those boot disks and scrape the config from the other after having imported the rpool using a different name and mount point. There are a couple of posts, which deal with such a scenario. Once you got a hold on that config files, you could go ahead and re-install another time re-creating your zfs mirrored rpool.

You can also get away with one re-install, but it would be more involved, since you'd had to perform a bit of cloning yourself, but it'd be definetively instructive to do this manually. Since your boot disks are rather small, you could also prepare diskimages from both, in case anything really goes south…

If you didn't put any guets onto the rpool, then it would probably be best to re-install PVE on one of those boot disks and scrape the config from the other after having imported the rpool using a different name and mount point. There are a couple of posts, which deal with such a scenario. Once you got a hold on that config files, you could go ahead and re-install another time re-creating your zfs mirrored rpool.

You can also get away with one re-install, but it would be more involved, since you'd had to perform a bit of cloning yourself, but it'd be definetively instructive to do this manually. Since your boot disks are rather small, you could also prepare diskimages from both, in case anything really goes south…

Thank you sir for some direction.

there is one thing I can't be sure.
The boot drives both defective now or not. I really don't want to try format the drive to see if it is still good.

I tried using a clone software but can't see the drive(single or both drives together)

Can i use a third SSD(120gb) to brand new install and import the setting?

Does your drives show up in the BIOS, then your data will most likely be intact on any of those drives. You surely can install PVE on another, unrelated drive and then check out either of your prior boot disks, to get the configs off of them. To play it safe, I'd install with only one drive in the system and then insert one of the broken SSDs, if this is possible. You could also hook up those broken SSDs via a SATA/USB adaptor.

Does your drives show up in the BIOS, then your data will most likely be intact on any of those drives. You surely can install PVE on another, unrelated drive and then check out either of your prior boot disks, to get the configs off of them. To play it safe, I'd install with only one drive in the system and then insert one of the broken SSDs, if this is possible. You could also hook up those broken SSDs via a SATA/USB adaptor.

but the problem is if these drives are attached, system won't even post to bios due to reading disk and scaning check.
after 10mins, it will show there is no boot device or just froze.

so therefore i really dont know if it still works, it does show in windows disk managment. but not in my computer

I don't know about your HW, but you can get yourself a SATA to USB adaptor and hook any of those two disk up to that, after you installed PVE on a new disk. If you want to boot the system with these disk already enabled, make sure that you exclude them from the BIOS boot volumes, that should prevent the BIOS from searching for a boot record on them.

I am just too scared right now to perform anything, if anybody and live direct me to fix this, i am willing to pay some fee/coffee money to work on this.

Please let me know

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!