RAID not seen by Proxmox installer

luas

Jun 28, 2024
Hi, these are my first steps with Proxmox.
I bought a used Fujitsu Primergy TX1320 M3 and created a RAID1 out of 2 SSDs (with onboard controller). However, when I start the installer from proxmox-ve_8.2-1.iso, it will see the single disks. Trying to install will break the RAID. How can this happen?
When I'm using a Debian installer, it will properly see the RAID group (while failing at another point of installation, but this is a different story).
Any ideas greatly appreciated.

It's quite simple.
You have a software raid controller in there and it seems to have a driver for Debian (which surprises me) because 99% of all software raid controllers have no Linux driver or only for Redhat.
Simply dissolve the raid and install with Software Raid in the Proxmox installer.

Reactions: justinclift
Thanks Falk, I wasn't aware of that.
So I chose zfs RAID1, selected the two SSDs and deselected my Ventoy Stick. Installer promised to make a 232 GB group and also confirmed a succesful install. But after rebooting, I only end up in the server's setup utility - it seems that the disk is not recognized as bootable. Any idea?

Okay, wait. I just did "Load optimized defaults" in BIOS/setup utility and this solved my problem. Just succesfully logged in to my Proxmox server for the first time. Thanks!

Reactions: Falk R.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!