R730 Raid1 Fails to boot

MeeM_Kade

Aug 3, 2024
Hello, I'm new to using proxmox, and I have an issue:
I installed a dual M.2 PCIe card on my R730 with 2 brand new SSDs that are the same type, and at the installation screen, I chose both SSDs to be in a RAID1 configuration.
However, upon rebooting my server, I get this error: ˯ Screen Shot 2024-08-02 at 8.28.03 p.m..png
It seems like the server doesn't want to boot from proxmox for whatever reason, and I confirmed that this might be an issue with the RAID1 configuration by installing proxmox as RAID0 on both SSDs individually, and it didn't work either. I'm unsure if this is an issue on the proxmox side or with my PowerEdge. I've tried to get this to work for a while, with no luck. Would anyone know the cause of the server refusing to boot? Anything I need to change? Im not sure how to get any error logs, as my system won't even boot into the RAID1 proxmox install.
Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Here are the details of what I'm using and doing:
Screen Shot 2024-08-02 at 8.37.17 p.m..png

Last edited:
Have you checked that the BIOS and any other hardware firmware is updated to the latest version? It seems like the Dell PowerEdge servers have frequent problems with booting from PCIe NVMes regardless of the installed operating system.

I don't have your setup to test or verify this, but have you tried one of the following guides: How to install and boot a Dell PowerEdge from a PCIe NVMe drive, or Dell PowerEdge R730 - Boot from PCIe M.2 device?
It seems like that even with firmware updated, its not an issue with proxmox, but my server not being able to be capable of booting from PCiE devices. I tried the links you provided but they don't seem to work in my situation due to me using RAID1.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!