Questions regarding migration between nodes

Oct 10, 2022
I'm in the process of planning to move multiple CTs/VMs to a new machine, and the method I initially chose is creating a cluster and joining the new machine. Then, I will migrate the CTs/VMs.

1- My old PVE is using LVM/LVM-thin. If I join the new node also with LVM/LVM-thin I'm getting only the option to run Offline migrations or Restart Mode when I try to move LXC containers. Why is live-migration only available for VMs?

2- Why live-migration is not available in my cluster, even for VMs?

3- I'm thinking about changing the new node to use ZFS instead. Is it possible to migrate CTs/VMs to a node that has ZFS?

Last edited:
Hi,

1- My old PVE is using LVM/LVM-thin. If I join the new node also with LVM/LVM-thin I'm getting only the option to run Offline migrations or Restart Mode when I try to move LXC containers. Why is live-migration only available for VMs?
since VMs are more abstracted than Containers, it's easier to just pause them and continue on a different node. With containers, you have resource dedicated to the running process, like file descriptors, network sockets, etc. that are not so easy to seamlessly transport to another machine.

2- Why live-migration is not available in my cluster, even for VMs?
Good question indeed, what's the error if you try to do so?

3- I'm thinking about changing the new node to use ZFS instead. Is it possible to migrate CTs/VMs to a node that has ZFS?
The file system should be abstracted away when transferring the VMs, so the underlying FS should not play a role in it.

Btw, if you are only joining the nodes to transfer the VMs and don't intend to keep them in a cluster, you could also try qm remote-migrate:
Code:
USAGE: qm remote-migrate <vmid> [<target-vmid>] <target-endpoint> --target-bridge <string> --target-storage <string> [OPTIONS]

Migrate virtual machine to a remote cluster. Creates a new migration
  task. EXPERIMENTAL feature!

<vmid>     <integer> (100 - 999999999)
        The (unique) ID of the VM.

<target-vmid> <integer> (100 - 999999999)
        The (unique) ID of the VM.

<target-endpoint> apitoken=<PVEAPIToken=user@realm!token=SECRET>
        ,host=<ADDRESS> [,fingerprint=<FINGERPRINT>] [,port=<PORT>]
        Remote target endpoint

--bwlimit  <integer> (0 - N)    (default=migrate limit from datacenter or
        storage config)
        Override I/O bandwidth limit (in KiB/s).

--delete   <boolean>    (default=0)
        Delete the original VM and related data after successful
        migration. By default the original VM is kept on the source
        cluster in a stopped state.

--online   <boolean>
        Use online/live migration if VM is running. Ignored if VM is
        stopped.

--target-bridge <string>
        Mapping from source to target bridges. Providing only a single
        bridge ID maps all source bridges to that bridge. Providing
        the special value '1' will map each source bridge to itself.

--target-storage <string>
        Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a
        single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage.
        Providing the special value '1' will map each source storage
        to itself.

@Folke, thank you for the very detailed and prompt reply!!!

During the process of detaching the secondary node I ran the commands in the wrong host, so right now I'm trying to get the cluster (or at least the main node) restored, see issue #152519.

I will get back to this thread once I resolve the other issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!