[SOLVED] Questions about Updates on High Availability Clusters

Vik-

May 24, 2024
We have a 2 Node HA Cluster. I moved all active VMs from node 1 to node 2 in advance, I then went to upgrade node 1 and when apt upgrade finished I restarted node 1 by clicking on it on the web interface and clicking reboot. But apparently both of the Nodes have restarted? It was a kernel update as well. The network identifiers of node1 have reset, causing it to be inaccessible in our network. However, what I don't understand is why all the VMs went offline. All of them were on Node 2 which i did not restart.

My question is: When you restart a Node in a HA Cluster do they both restart?
The kernel has not changed on node 2, so the updates need to be done on node 2 as well. How would I go about doing this without losing connection with my VMs on the other node?

Last edited:
Once you use HA, having quorum at all times is important. In a two-node cluster, with one node down, the remaining node has 50% of the votes. This is not enough.

Either expand the cluster by another node or use the QDevice to have another vote without a full Proxmox VE installation.

Once you use HA, having quorum at all times is important. In a two-node cluster, with one node down, the remaining node has 50% of the votes. This is not enough.

Either expand the cluster by another node or use the QDevice to have another vote without a full Proxmox VE installation.
Yeah, that is the next step I wanted to do. I didn't think it would make the nodes behave this way without a qdevice :/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!