Questions about nested proxmox

May 31, 2021
Hello,

This is my first time I use a forum to ask questions.

I want to start with Nested proxmox environment.

I have 3 servers at my disposable.

Some requirements for this environment must be :

* If required it want to add servers to have more resources
* I will be using two nas-servers for storage one with ssd disks (for storage off the virtuals machines and snapshots) and one with hdd disks (storage for backup) (I think distributed storage)
* I want to use the resources off all the servers as a pool of resources such as : cpu and ram. (I this can be done with proxmox a cluster)
* I must have HA (this way I will start with 3 servers)

Some questions about hardware :
* Is it required to have de same servers with identical configuration ?

Some requirements about nested proxmox :
* It must be possible to increase the resources of the virtual proxmox machine

Every virtual proxmox machine will have a public ip adress for managament of the environment.

The point to create all this is for my colleagues : every colleague will have a virtual proxmox environment and there can make there network environment with virtual machines. I will be the adminstrator off all the virtual proxmox environments.

What is best way to start this or can you point me in the right direction ?

Thx a lot already,

Withouck Vincent

* Is it required to have de same servers with identical configuration ?
Ideally you have the same hardware for all cluster nodes. It is possible to use different hardware, but this limits for example the cpu options for your virtual machines. Especially for nested virtualization this can be bad.

* It must be possible to increase the resources of the virtual proxmox machine
The resources for any virtual machine can be configured in the GUI.

The point to create all this is for my colleagues : every colleague will have a virtual proxmox environment and there can make there network environment with virtual machines. I will be the adminstrator off all the virtual proxmox environments.
I'd recommend taking a look at the various possibilities of User Management in Proxmox VE first. Nested virtualization is possible in general, but things get complicated or slow rather fast.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!