Question regarding upgrade of Proliant production cluster from PVE7 to PVE8

Michael_B

Sep 12, 2022
Hello,

our production cluster consists of several Proliant servers (different versions) and HP Smart array cards. As according to Debian compatibility table for Proliant servers there are some issues regarding Smart array cards mentioned, I want to know whether there is a chance of any Proxmox support available for upgrade procedure (PVE Basic subscriptions are used).

According to pve7to8 script no errors are reported for all nodes, but I don't want to end up with a broken Production cluster due to problems not found by script.

As according to Debian compatibility table for Proliant servers there are some issues regarding Smart array cards mentioned, I want to know whether there is a chance of any Proxmox support available for upgrade procedure (PVE Basic subscriptions are used).
That Debian compatibiliy table may not be applicable, PVE uses an Ubuntu LTS Kernel, which has all the drivers, not the Debian userland on top.

Easiest method I know is to create a thumbdrive / external harddisk with PVE8 (ext4) and boot it on one of the machines in order to see if the harddisks are recognized properly. This is non-invasive and should work.

Reactions: _gabriel
Sorry for my late answer - our Proxmox cluster contains different HP Proliant systems (DL360G9, DL560G9, DL380G8 and DL380G9) equipped with different smart array controllers (Smart HBA 240ar, Smart Array P440ar, Smart ARray P420i, AMrt Array P800 and Smart Array P840).

It would by great to know whether someone has updated any of these systems to PVE8 or if there are problems to be expected ...

It would by great to know whether someone has updated any of these systems to PVE8 or if there are problems to be expected ...
I don't have exactly those models, yet older onces worked. We have always spares for our PVE cluster so that we can test. We also don't mix and only use homogenous clusters.

I have multiple HPE Proliant DL380 Gen8 / Gen9 / Gen10 / Gen10+ too, i can confirm P408i-a, P420i, P440ar,SR416i and MR416i/MR816i working fine with PVE 8.2.4 as of now

**BOSS RAID1 NVME is working fine in Gen9/Gen10 and PCIe Riser with 2 M.2 Sata drive is recognized too in Gen10 / Gen10+

Last edited:
Reactions: LnxBil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!