Question about Windows Server 2022 compatibility

casalicomputers

Renowned Member
Mar 14, 2015
Hi,
for a client we will have to prepare a Proxmox server containing some Windows Server 2022 VMs and we found various threads reporting random crashing. We usually use few Windows machines, but the client requested some and we would like understand if there are some known problems.
We don't think the filesystem is going to matter for the question, but, for completeness, we would like to use ZFS or LVM for Proxmox depending on some client requirements.

Thanks a lot for the dedicated time,
Have a good day

There were some problems for example in QEMU, but they are resolved. So as long as you update PVE to the current state and use a current version of virtio-drivers you should be fine.
At least I don't know of any remaining problems.

Unfortunately the client required a lot of Windows Server 2022 VMs, so we need to know if there are any known incompatibilities before proceeding with the installation. In April 2018, we encountered issues with a server deployment where some Windows Server 2016 VMs were used, they randomly restart themself while working. Then the issue got solved by updating Proxmox to the latest version which fixed the issue, but we would like to avoid such a situation.

i have round about 15 Windows 2022 Server std. running. works flawless. setup with the version one year ago. until now, all updates and virtio driver sets. i cant complain

i have round about 15 Windows 2022 Server std. running. works flawless. setup with the version one year ago. until now, all updates and virtio driver sets. i cant complain
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I wanted to ask you specifically if any of those are Domain Controllers? I am thinking about migrating an expiring server 2022 eval that runs Hyper-V to proxmox and wanted to see if anyone is running DCs off of only proxmox. I have a PDC right now on PVE, but also have the one on the windows install. Just wondering if you've experienced anything concerning Proxmox DCs.

runs just smooth, like all other Win2022 Servers, also the Centos servers - just everything.
keep in mind: Proxmox is baded on KVM, AZURE is based on KVM - and on azure runs millions of servers

Reactions: bamba1260
runs just smooth, like all other Win2022 Servers, also the Centos servers - just everything.
keep in mind: Proxmox is baded on KVM, AZURE is based on KVM - and on azure runs millions of servers
Awesome, I appreciate it! Yeah, I guess that does make sense; there is a lot invested in making sure it plays nice these days, huh? I am still quite new to this administrating ADDS though and wanted to see if I was missing something. Thanks for your reply.

Glad everything runs smooth for you, but one of your points is incorrect. Azure runs on Hyper-V, not KVM

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/security/fundamentals/hypervisor
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com...rm-blog/azure-host-os-cloud-host/ba-p/3709528

In contrast, AWS *does* use Amazon’s custom version of KVM (Nitro)

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/whitepa...ws-nitro-system/the-nitro-system-journey.html

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!