Aug 30, 2023
Luxembourg
When I restored a VM today, full restore, I was surprised by this in the log:

VM 107 add unreferenced volume 'cpool-02:vm-107-disk-0' as 'unused0' to config

The config of the VM has for the storage:

efidisk0: cpool-01:vm-107-disk-0,efitype=4m,pre-enrolled-keys=1,size=1M
scsi0: cpool-01:vm-107-disk-1,discard=on,iothread=1,size=60G
scsi1: cpool-02:vm-107-disk-0,backup=0,discard=on,iothread=1,size=200G

So yes, scsi1 is not backed up but it's most definitely referenced.

Is it normal for PBS to do this? Once I re-added it all was fine, just curious to know why.

This is the intended behavior of Proxmox VE's restore utility as you marked the volume cpool-02:vm-107-disk-0 to not be backed up and therefore if you restore the VM from said backup it won't be restored from there. It just so happens if you restore the VM itself, that the volume cpool-02:vm-107-disk-0 is there and will be recognized as a volume owned by VM 107, so it will be marked as the unused0 mount as you reported.

Ok, thanks for the explanation and at least I will know for next time - and I can at least reference saved config with each backup not lose any custom tweaks, but I don't agree with this behaviour for that reason.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!