Question about Setup WAL/DB

Doktorake

Nov 29, 2018
Hello,

i have a fairly small(?) cluster with 5 servers each with 5x OSD spinning disk and one SSD for db/wal (each parition size is 30GB).

I'm looking for following changes:

decrease the DB-Size to 15GB

Current: bluestore_block_db_size = 32212254720

Is this safe to do in production? i do not want to mess with the cluster, so im a bit hesitating to change the value for the whole cluster.

The SSD is 240GB big, with the change of db size to 15gb i will have around ~150GB SSD Space left on each Node.
Is it possible to create an SSD-OSD with the remaining space?

What keeps bugging me is: is that separate ssd db really helpful with that low amount of OSDs in cluster? Im thinking of having the db locally on each OSD, completely removing the need for a separate db SSD. the freed up SSD on each node would then server as OSD-Pool for faster performance.

When i remove the DB-Disk, all OSDs will fail in the node correct? but rebuilding them shouldnt be a problem in my 2:3 setup.

Anyone?

My biggest concern would be to completely ditch the SSD as DB-Device and make it an OSD for each node.
Is there any documented way to do that?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!