Quarantine list-unsubscribe emails by default

littlejohn

Sep 2, 2024
Hi

We've recently installed Proxmox Email gateway and are really pleased with the results;

I notice that there are a lot of emails that come through with unsubscribe links, for lists that have never actually been joined (or not joined voluntarily) - these emails tend to have the List-Unsubcribe header in them.

Is it possible to mark all incoming emails that have List-Unsubscribe so that they go into the Quarantine list for the user? If the user really wants that mailing list, they would see it in the Daily Spam Report and would be able to whitelist the sender - and I imagine that, once whitelisted, the List-Unsubscribe check would no longer happen for that sender.

Thanks
John

Is it possible to mark all incoming emails that have List-Unsubscribe so that they go into the Quarantine list for the user? If the user really wants that mailing list, they would see it in the Daily Spam Report and would be able to whitelist the sender - and I imagine that, once whitelisted, the List-Unsubscribe check would no longer happen for that sender.
It should be possible, but consider that this might cause quite a lot of false positives!

Create a rule with appropriate priority (usually it should not need to be too high, but you can see which rules cause the e-mails on your deployment to be accepted in the Logs/Tracking Center):
* What Object: Match Field: List-Unsubscribe, value : '.*'
* Action Object: Quarantine

I have not explicitly tested this - so try it in a test-environment (or keep an eye on the logs, and be prepared to deactivate the rule)

I hope this helps!

Hi

We've recently installed Proxmox Email gateway and are really pleased with the results;

I notice that there are a lot of emails that come through with unsubscribe links, for lists that have never actually been joined (or not joined voluntarily) - these emails tend to have the List-Unsubcribe header in them.

Thanks
John
In my (pre-) PMG -setup i had postfix do header-checks via main.cf
Code:
header_checks =
        regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks

And every time a mail that originates from an unwanted list makes it thru i add it to this file in the below format
Code:
/^List-Unsubscribe:.*thefightback\.info.*/      REJECT

So i re-introduced the same setting in PMG to it's main.cf via the template.
Its a bit of a manual way, but it works for my small business setup.

Just be sure when introducing this setting you also create a/the empty file ( touch /etc/postfix/header_checks ) before reloading postfix.

- Glowsome

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!