Qemu guest agent in centos5 or debian6

hamed

Sep 6, 2010
Hi,
I've enabled qemu-guest-agent for a VM (qm set 110 -agent 1).
When the guest is centos6, I can properly find /dev/virtio-ports/org.qemu.guest_agent.0.

But when the guest is either centos5 32bit or debian6 32bit (these are the OSes I've checked so far), I cannot find the device in /dev.
The command 'lspci' displays "00:08.0 Communication controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio console".
I'm not sure if there is a problem with the driver or it's just mapped with other names in /dev.

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks

Hi,
I've enabled qemu-guest-agent for a VM (qm set 110 -agent 1).
When the guest is centos6, I can properly find /dev/virtio-ports/org.qemu.guest_agent.0.

But when the guest is either centos5 32bit or debian6 32bit (these are the OSes I've checked so far), I cannot find the device in /dev.
The command 'lspci' displays "00:08.0 Communication controller: Red Hat, Inc Virtio console".
I'm not sure if there is a problem with the driver or it's just mapped with other names in /dev.

Does anyone have any idea about this?

Thanks

Can you try on Debian 7.1 ? Debian 6 kernel is very old.... (2.6.32 deb).

Luca

I'm trying debian 7.1 now.
However, I need it to work for older kernels too, if it's possible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!