Qemu Agent not failing to auto-start on second VM

proxmox-athome

Dec 29, 2020
Hello,

I've setup proxmox and am very impressed with what it has to offer.

I've setup the first Arch VM and installed qemu-guest-agent, enabled the service, and enabled it in the VM settings. This one works great.

I have a second Arch VM setup and after following the same process the qemu-guest-agent fails to auto-start. If I login via SSH I can manually start it.

Install commands:
pacman -S qemu-guest-agent
systemctl enable qemu-guest-agent
systemctl start qemu-guest-agent
reboot

----

[archext@archext ~]$ sudo systemctl status qemu-guest-agent
● qemu-guest-agent.service - QEMU Guest Agent
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/qemu-guest-agent.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)
Condition: start condition failed at Tue 2020-12-29 17:54:47 AST; 21s ago
└─ ConditionPathExists=/dev/virtio-ports/org.qemu.guest_agent.0 was not met

Dec 29 17:54:47 archext systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in QEMU Guest Agent being skipped.

[archext@archext ~]$ sudo systemctl start qemu-guest-agent
[archext@archext ~]$ sudo systemctl status qemu-guest-agent
● qemu-guest-agent.service - QEMU Guest Agent
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/qemu-guest-agent.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: active (running) since Tue 2020-12-29 17:49:10 AST; 4min 31s ago
Main PID: 377 (qemu-ga)
Tasks: 2 (limit: 2358)
Memory: 2.3M
CGroup: /system.slice/qemu-guest-agent.service
└─377 /usr/bin/qemu-ga

Dec 29 17:51:05 archext qemu-ga[377]: info: guest-ping called

Any thoughts on how I can troubleshoot this?

Does it have something to do with this being the second VM? This VM does not yet have a lot of Customization. I've tried disabling qemu agent in VM settings, uninstalling, rebooting proxmox and the VM, etc.

One option would be to rebuild the VM but I am not confident the same issue wouldn't just occur.

Thanks

Hi,

may you try to systemctl disable qemu-guest-agent service and re-enable it again? and try to look at journalctl -b on the Arch VM maybe you will get the hint.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!