Q35 version

Icefire

Mar 20, 2022
Hi,
I got 2 VM (WS2K22) and I saw one is Q35 Version 6.1 and the other 7.0.

Can I change the 6.1 to 7?

Yes you can, by going to the PVE Web UI Datacenter->{NodeName}->VMID->Hardware->Machine->double click on it and enable the `Advanced` then you can see the versions.

Note that Windows does not always handle machine version changes very well and you might need to reinstall Windows on the VM. That's why Proxmox remembers the machine version that was used to create the Windows VM.

Hi,
Is there something different by using one or the other version?
yes, there can be (slight) changes in the virtual hardware. For performance/etc. it shouldn't really matter. Rather, as @leesteken said, there is a risk that Windows will be confused by the change. If you don't have a good reason to change it, I'd just keep it as is.

Regarding this post, I never changed it but now I see the memory is wrongly reported from Windows.
DC01 is Q35 6.1 with 4% used
SQL01 is Q35 7.0 with 98 % used, witch is impossible as I assigner 32/128gb ram on it, and windows barely use 9.5 GB, 118GB Available and only 10/139GB commited (8.2GB Cached)

DC01 have almost the same memory utilisation but look idle on the summary. (no ram used)

Could it be a problem with that version?

Check that the balloon driver is installed and running, and that balloon is enabled in the memory configuration of the VMs.
Talk about an easy solution!
Balloon service was installed, in Automatic but not running!

Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!