pvestatd hanging?

jermudgeon

Renowned Member
Apr 7, 2016
linux 6.8.8-2-pve
pve-manager 8.2.4

7-node cluster

I'm having nodes go grey-question-mark in the UI; no problems with corosync or underlying storage. Restarting pvestatd brings back up the UI, except for cpu/load/memory stats. And it tends to keep hanging unless I reboot, after which it will go for days or weeks.

What are the underlying logs I could examine to find out why some nodes end up in this state?

Hi,
you can read the latest logs with journalctl -eu pvestatd. If you want to limit the output to the incident itself, you can use the since and until options:
Bash:
journalctl -u pvestatd --since "2024-07-10 08:00" --until "2024-07-10 12:00"
A common cause for this can be slow or hanging storage or network shares, which will cause pvestatd to take so long to report, that the nodes state will be displayed as unknown

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!