[SOLVED] pveproxy.service will not start

sureal808

Jan 10, 2017
Woke up today to these errors:

/etc/cron.daily/logrotate:
Job for pveproxy.service failed. See 'systemctl status pveproxy.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
Job for spiceproxy.service failed. See 'systemctl status spiceproxy.service' and 'journalctl -xn' for details.
error: error running shared postrotate script for '/var/log/pveproxy/access.log '
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/logrotate exited with return code 1

Tried to start the services manually but they all timeout. I assume restarting the specific node in question will probably solve the problem but I am trying to avoid doing so. The VMs are still up and running but it is the pve-manager that is not working properly and I am getting 595 Connection Refused when trying to access any of them through the web manager. Proxmox version 4.4 btw. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Here is the output from systemctl for the pveproxy.service:

● pveproxy.service - PVE API Proxy Server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/pveproxy.service; enabled)
Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Fri 2017-10-13 08:07:08 EDT; 1min 59s ago
Main PID: 34410 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Oct 13 08:04:08 pve3 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service start operation timed out. Terminating.
Oct 13 08:05:38 pve3 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service stop-final-sigterm timed out. Killing.
Oct 13 08:07:08 pve3 systemd[1]: pveproxy.service still around after final SIGKILL. Entering failed mode.
Oct 13 08:07:08 pve3 systemd[1]: Failed to start PVE API Proxy Server.
Oct 13 08:07:08 pve3 systemd[1]: Unit pveproxy.service entered failed state.

Last edited:
I restarted the pve-cluster service as per fabian in forum.proxmox.com/threads/pveproxy-crashes-unable-to-start-it.35144
Seems to have resolved the issues. pveproxy.service and spiceproxy.service now start without any issues.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!