pve-zsync: Are ZFS snap "application-aware"?

EdoFede

Nov 10, 2023
I'm experimenting with pve-zsync and I need some clarifications that I haven't found in documentation and forums.

This is my test scenario:
- Proxmox cluster infrastructure in the main site (based on ZFS) with replicas between some nodes
- Proxmox Backup Server that performs backups (on local ZFS storage) of all VMs on the main site
- Remote site where some VMs need to be replicated (for disaster recovery purposes)
- Limited connectivity on the second site (100/10 Mbps), so the sync must be incremental (in both ways, in case of DR)

I've used pve-zsync on a test VM on the server in Site B (that pulls from the main site) and I see that the copy is done correctly and kept up to date. Fine!

In case of disaster on the primary site, I've already read in this thread (https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/pve-zsync-invert-source-and-destination.139798/) that the invert synchronization for incremental is managed via common snapshot name, so great!

The question is this:
Are the replicas made by pve-zsync "application aware" like the snapshot backups that PBS makes?
Or are they simple ZFS snapshots, which could therefore cause inconsistency on what runs in the guest?

Thanks ;):)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!