pve-zsync and VM freeze

kobuki

Renowned Member
Dec 30, 2008
The pve-zsync tool is a very useful addition. If I'm planning to use it for regular VM snapshots, can it or does it issue an FS freeze when using the qemu guest agent? In other words, will I have such a consistent backup like when using vzdump with the agent?

Hi,

pve-zsync has not such features and we will not include, but we include the full functionality and more in the PVE 5.0.
This means in PVE 5.0 this feature will available.

That's nice to hear!

Until then, I'd like to script it for my needs. Can you recommend a way to acheive that by using the PVE API, command line or such? I've never used the API and related facilities yet, but I'd just need a small initial guidance on where to start, if possible.

Forget what I wrote I will include it in the code.
I forget that we have now an API for freeze and unfreeze so I can call it.

Well, until then there's a simple method for scripting using pvesh. It works fine and will suffice for my current needs. It does't work with pve-zsync so I'll need to use my own zfs backup wrapper. That should be addressed when pve-zsync natively supports this feature someday.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!