Nov 27, 2017
Hi,

I have two servers, one with two ZFS zpools:

server A:

rpool - SSD disks

rpoolsata - SATA disks

Server B (for backups):

rpool - SATA disks

When I have created disks in a VM 101 in Server A I got automatically these names:

scsi0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=32G
scsi1: localsata-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=100G
scsi2: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-1,backup=0,cache=writeback,size=30G

Unfortunately scsi0 and scsi1 has the same name but different zpool

When I try to use pve-zsync logically It complains that it has already a vm-101-disk-0 snapshot and It can´t go on.

I did a vzdump backup and restore it in server B and the vzrestore logically had to rename scsi1 and vm-101-disk-1 and scsi2 didn´t get restored.

What do you suggest me to do? ZFS zpool in server B has the two SATA disk used and I have already running other machines so remove rpool in server B is not an option.

How can I rename the disks in server A easily so the naming is different for every scsi despite the zpool?

Thanks!

Miguel

Hi,
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=32G
scsi1: localsata-zfs:vm-101-disk-0,cache=writeback,size=100G
scsi2: local-zfs:vm-101-disk-1,backup=0,cache=writeback,size=30G

Unfortunately scsi0 and scsi1 has the same name but different zpool

When I try to use pve-zsync logically It complains that it has already a vm-101-disk-0 snapshot and It can´t go on.
there's an open feature request. I'll take a look at it after the next PVE release (TBA).

I did a vzdump backup and restore it in server B and the vzrestore logically had to rename scsi1 and vm-101-disk-1 and scsi2 didn´t get restored.
Note that you have backup=0 set for the scsi2 drive, so it does not get included in the backup.

What do you suggest me to do? ZFS zpool in server B has the two SATA disk used and I have already running other machines so remove rpool in server B is not an option.

How can I rename the disks in server A easily so the naming is different for every scsi despite the zpool?
Until the feature is implemented, while the VM is shut down, you'll have to manually rename the ZFS datasets and edit the configuration file accordingly, e.g.
Code:
zfs rename <parent dataset>/vm-101-disk-0 <parent dataset>/vm-101-disk-2
where <parent dataset> is your actual ZFS dataset (might be different from the storage ID) . And in the configuration file:
scsi1: localsata-zfs:vm-101-disk-2,cache=writeback,size=100G

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!