PVE start and shutdown PBS

evangelle

Jun 14, 2024
Hi.
I was thinking about installing a PBS on a dell server link with my PVE.
The dell server has an IDRAC.

I was wondering if it's possible in any way to make the PVE starting up the PBS for the backup and shutting down the PBS ?

thanks for any info on it :)

I don't think there's a way to do it with GUI supported tools.

You could build a cron and script a racadm statement.

ssh root@10.0.0.99 -m C:\putty\PowerOn.sh
racadm serveraction powerup

or IPMI.

ipmipower --on -h hostname/oripaddressofidrac -u root -p password

This doesn't sound like a great idea. Yes, you could do it, but you would do it with pieces that don't fit together well.
I got some of that from personal knowledge, and the rest of it here:
https://serverfault.com/questions/476471/can-i-schedule-machine-boot-via-dell-idrac

Some people here do that by using VZdump hook scripts. That way PVE will automatically run a script when a backup task starts and ends. You could then write your own script that will boot up the PBS server on demand via ipmitool and shut it down via PBS API once the backup job has finished. But keep in mind that you also need to regularily run maintainance tasks on the PBS like GC, prune and re-verify for which the PBS of cause needs to be running to do them. You should also add alot of checks to your script so PVE won't shutdown the PBS when backup/restore/upgrade/re-verify/GC/prune/scrub/resilver tasks are running.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!