PVE services start in a DEAD state

ItsKaty

Jan 21, 2022
Hi, I’m not 100% sure if this is a proxmox issue but for the past couple months whenever I have to restart my proxmox server, I have to change the dns settings in the router to point to google or some other non local hosted dns server (fine and dandy my dns server is hosted on a vm on the pve server), but that’s not the only issue, without the server being able to resolve/connect to the internet none of the pve services start until it is connected to the internet, when I do qm list it says “Unable to load action control list: Connection refused” and when I try to systemctl restart pvedaemon or anything else, it just hangs and doesn’t do anything.... until it’s connected to the internet... which is currently unavailable but I need to access the vms on the server as they provide many of my house hold services.

This sounds like your host can't resolve its own hostname to itself?
Is your /etc/hosts file configured correctly, to point your host to your own IP?

Yes, currently my hosts file shows
`127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.254.19 baddragon.kitty.local baddragon pvelocalhost`
And then the ipv6 stuff, using my phone so I can’t really copy paste, but It resolves itself when I try to ping its hostname it’s full hostname and ofc the ip

Is this with or without your DNS Server running?

How does your /etc/resolv.conf look?

Without, the dns server is running on a vm on the server~ which won’t start due to proxmox... not having connection
Resolv.conf-
Search kitty.local
Nameserver 192.168.254.254
It’s the router’s ip

Out of curiousity I added a line, nameserver 127.0.0.1 and restarted the networking just to see it it would do... literally anything at all even if it would’ve been a step in the wrong direction but it didn’t do anything, line has been removed but I should mention that I am able to connect to the server via ssh using its local ip through the router.

Last edited:
Sorry for the super late reply, no everything PVE related starts as “dead” on system boot until it gets internet in which everything springs to life, I’ve pretty much gave up on it and have been looking at alternatives since even after an update it’s still seeming like a one of a kind issue.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!